For Music Related Professionals
Mr. Takashi Sonoda, General Producer of ANIMAX MUSIX, Manager of Animax Broadcast Japan Part.1
Nice to meet you Mr. Sonoda. First, let’s talk about yourself. What kind of childhood did you have? Did you like anime as a child?
- Well, rather than anime, manga or games, I did a lot of sports activities, such as baseball, soccer, swimming or tennis. Things where you had to be outside and move your body.
- My childhood was in the 80s, so there wasn’t a lot but of course I liked Dragon Ball, Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, Saint Seiya and some others. I feel like it’s things that everyone else in school was watching as well. I wasn’t the type of guy to think, like, “I wanna watch a lot of anime,” but I remember a lot.
- I don’t think I listen to a huge amount of music. Currently I listen to artists like Ed Sheeran, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers and a lot of anime songs. Half of it is for work and the other half out of curiosity. I get a lot of sample CDs, so I can upload them from my PC onto my iPhone, so I can listen to them while commuting to work as part of my everyday life. I don’t really make a distinction between work and my private interests in that matter. It’s more like an extension of my work.
- I started my career by importing goods and merchandise from overseas to Japan. So actually, my first job was totally unrelated to music. When I started working at Animax, I worked for marketing and promotions for the channel. It was all more or less a coincidence that I started working here. It happened because of an introduction by an acquaintance.
- I first started working here in 2010 as an assistant producer of the ANIMAX MUSIX event. During that time, I met an artist called May’n who became famous for singing songs for the anime Macross Frontier. She was like a princess of anisong music. Working with her had a huge impression on me. I still remember it to this day.